Sunday, December 18, 2022

The wow factor!

 I had the opportunity to do something that has been a bucket list item for... ever?

I booked a buffalo hunt with Prairie Ridge Buffalo Ranch. Here is their website:


https://www.prairieridgebuffalo.com/


I was able to keep in touch with Shawn since I booked this in FEB (i think) and have passed his name and contact info to everyone that has asked about Buffalo hunting.

Alright so let's get the details out of the way before I start dropping pictures. I had the idea in my head that I would show up, hop out of my truck, be pointed at a buffalo, and told to shoot. Man oh man was I wrong BIG TIME!. First off we had to find this guy, and being out in the prairies you would think it would be easy.




Once we were able to find this guy, we had to get close. Fun fact here! Are you aware a Buffalo can run close to 40 mph!? Well sure as shit I was not! I have never seen an animal that big, run that fast. OH!! another thing!!! A Buffalo can prance like a Deer. I really wish I had the hind sight to video it, but for as big as a Buffalo is, it is graceful as hell! It prance's like a damn Deer, wild!


Once we were able to get close I was able to take a shot. My hell are these critters TOUGH! First shot was a lung shot around 50 or so yards and this animal did not move an inch! Moved around for a second shot and believe I hit it near the heart, and finally a twitch, but still not dead. Moved again and took a third shot which I believe was another lung shot and FINALLY a twitch. We waited a few minutes and decided to walk towards this beast and it tried to run, but stumbled and I knew the deed was done. He finally fell over and was about to be done for good. 


Initially I thought to myself, "man this is a small bull," but once we got it up and in position I saw the size and second guessed whether or not I shot one too big.




I was fortunate enough to harvest this bull with a good western gun, the old fashioned 45/70


Thank goodness Shawn was able to bring a tractor out because skinning this thing on the ground would have been a nightmare



After all of that was done I was able to get the carcass to my butcher. He came out at 596.92 pounds hanging. I am thinking between 425 and 450 pounds of finished meat. I was also able to get the head to my taxidermist. Shawn was also generous enough to allow me to keep the dead heads I found to have a friend of mine paint them up.



If you want the chance to harvest a great animal, and put meat in the freezer, call these guys! 


No comments:

Post a Comment