Sunday, March 24, 2013

Fishing in the snow

We met up at 3am Saturday morning and made the long trip over to the Green River. We were smacked in the face with a blizzard just outside of Evanston and it really slowed us down. Once we got outside of Mountain View we were slowed down even more with 3 to 4 inches of snow on the roads. Once we finally got down to the put in area the two fellers I was with were pretty excited because they had never seen the Green before. We unloaded and got ready to fish.

I have to admit, it was pretty cold, with a high of 19F but I was snug as a bug because i really bundled up. The other two guys may have mentioned once or five times it was a little cold. It also did not help that they both took a small spill in the river because they were not used to wading such a clear, depth deceiving river.

These guys saw well over a thousand fish. They did not bring any to hand and missed quiet a few, it was more of a learning experience for them. I was able to bring a few fish to hand and they all had some nice color to them, but my rule is, if it is not over 20 inches long its not worth a picture. We had a blast running the river in our North Fork Outdoors Outlaw series boats, which you can find here

Even the guys that have never floated a river before and had very little idea how to move the boat around with fins or oars were able to have some fun in a little white water

We all ran into a bit of gear trouble. Case in point all three of us managed to break oars on our toons. Mine was a bit more difficult because I was in a framed boat and was not able to get my legs as low in the water to use my fins as effectively as I could in the other boats, dont get me wrong they worked well, but did not give the full power I needed.

I made the mistake of thinking we would have to portage Mother in Law rapid and that wasted 2 hours of time. We all ran it, and let me tell you it was fun as hell to run it in fins and one oar only. We than high tailed it home trying to end a very long day. We got to the take out at 7pm and hauled ass home. I got home and in bed after eating right at midnight. A long yet fun day that took alot out of us but as usual was worth it

1 comment:

  1. Good grief! That sounds like a trying time on the river. Not catching any must really sting for the virgins. I hope my first time there yields different results.